Innovation Day Invitation – March 5th 2020

Good Morning Grade 3 parents,

I am formally inviting you to our Grade 3 Innovation Day presentations on Thursday, March 5th, 2020 from 8:45am-9:45am in the Grade 3 room.

Just to expand on my blog post introducing the concept of Innovation Day, in Grade 3 we have been looking into Structures: strong and stable. We began our exploration looking in what makes a structure strong and stable. Students researched a famous landmark, looking into the real structure (this is a part of our social studies work) using our math measurement and geometry skills to look at shape, height, weight, the scale of their structure and ensure it is free-standing. The structure must also be able to hold weights ranging from 100g-500g. All language arts skills will be assessed from oral communication to scientific report writing (hypothesis, procedure writing, concluding) to reading through research.

As elementary engineers, this is the first independent step into researching, planning, and building. I am so proud of how the Grade 3 students have fully immersed themselves in problem-solving, communicating and collaboration.  The Grade 3 students will present their structures alongside their scientific method info board and show you their experience with experimenting via QR code.  All structures have been made from recycled goods or goods which will be recycled.

I hope to see you at our Innovation Morning and for you to see all of the wonderful learning experiences happening in Grade 3.

Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask,

Miss M